What a mouthful! Let’s take another crack at breakfast (not an egg pun, since eggs aren’t allowed on AIP). This stack has three layers, let’s get started!
( See my post Lets talk about… the Auto Immune Protocol Diet and My Recipe Formats for questions about my recipes.)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 4 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and grated, keep soaking in a salted water so they don’t turn brown
- 1/4 t Cinnamon
- 1/4 t Ginger
- 1/4 t Turmeric
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t Pepper
- 1 t Pink Salt
- 1/4 C of Tapioca Starch
- Drain and dry your sweet potatoes really well.
- Toss them in all of the seasonings and the tapioca.
- Heat a quarter inch of the oil of your choice in a pre-heated cast iron skillet.
- Hash browns by taking a metal ring mold and placing it in the oil, fill the ring mold with a layer of the potato mixture and let it for about 10 seconds, then lift the ring mold off. Repeat until the pan is full but not over crowded.
- Let the hash browns cook until a golden brown crust has formed, about 2 minutes per side. Try to only flip the once.
- Keep the hash browns crispy until serving by keeping them on a rack lined sheet pan in the oven on low.
To make a sweet and savory component add a fourth of a cup of golden raisins. If you are allowed, add 1/4 t of smoked paprika, chili powder, coriander, and cumin.
- 1 Lb of Ground Pork
- 2 t Garlic Powder
- 2 t Pink Salt
- 1 t Pepper
- 1 t Onion Powder
- 1 t Marjoram
- 1 t sage
- Mix the ground pork with all of the seasonings, add a fourth of a cup of ice cold water and mix until the sausage is sticky and emulsified. Pat out into 3 oz patties and fry in a preheated oiled cast iron skilled.
3. Avocado and Grapefruit Salsa
- 2 Avocados, cubed
- 2 Grapefruits, supremed
- 1 Lime, zested and juiced
- 1 T Fresh Oregano, chopped
- Pink Salt- to taste
- Fresh Cracked Pepper – To taste
- Mix all of the ingredients together, breaking up the avocado sightly so that the salsa is creamy.
Lets Bring it All Together:
Plate the hash brown first. Top with the sausage patty. Then garnish with the salsa on the very top and sprinkle with a little more fresh oregano and a lime wedge.
Wishing you good eats!
XOXO, Hashimoto’s Heiress